Oral Cancer Screening
It is important to see your dentist for an oral cancer screening, especially as you age. This screening involves a thorough check of the mouth and surrounding areas for any possible oral cancer symptoms. Please explore the information below to learn how to stay on top of your oral health, then call 904-389-1376 to schedule an appointment with Berdy Dental Group.
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, cheeks, throat (pharynx), sinuses, and hard and soft palate. While oral cancer can usually be successfully treated when detected early, most cases of oral cancer are not detected until they have progressed into a more serious, advanced stage that is much more difficult to treat. In some cases, oral cancer may be life threatening.
Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- A persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- A persistent sore on the face, neck, or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain or numbness in the face, neck, or mouth
- Recurring ear pain
- Lumps, bumps or rough spots on the gums, lips or other parts of the mouth
- Red, white or speckled patches in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking or swallowing
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
Berdy Dental Group is dedicated to helping detect and treat oral cancers and other abnormalities at the earliest possible stage. We perform screenings during routine dental cleanings and exams for our patients. Be sure to contact us immediately at 904-389-1376 to schedule an appointment with one of our dentists if you notice any of these problems or if you experience any other type of dental pain. We are committed to helping you stay in good health.